About Common Wealth
Common Wealth provides workplace retirement benefits for a 21st century workforce. We’re dedicated to helping to close the retirement security gap for the tens of millions of people who lack access to a good workplace retirement plan. We partner with associations, unions, and employers to deliver value-for-money, collective retirement plans that combine user-friendly technology, digital retirement planning, low-cost investments, secure lifetime income, and a fiduciary duty to members. Our work is serving a wide range of people who’ve lacked access to good workplace retirement benefits, from home care workers to physicians to not-for-profit employees to workers across Canada’s private sector. Common Wealth has been recognized internationally for its work in addressing the global retirement challenge.
This opportunity is for you if:
- You want to be part of a business that is mission-driven, profitable, and growing
- You love to learn and are self-aware about your strengths and limitations
- You love to roll up your sleeves and produce work that meets the highest standards for quality and attention to detail
- You are a supportive and adaptable team member
What you will do
- Serve as one of the founding members of Common Wealth’s technology team
- Architect and build new features for Common Wealth’s technology platform to add additional value for plan members, employers, and other Common Wealth clients
- Engineer a mission-critical, highly-available consumer-facing transactional system. Our users trust us with their retirement savings, so it’s up to us to keep their investment safe!
- Work with the latest AWS server technologies: ECS/Fargate, AWS Batch, Lambda, SQS, SES and more
- 5+ years of server-side development experience in Java and familiarity with Spring (Boot/Batch)
- Experience in designing system architectures, especially by selecting the right AWS components for the task
- Experience with modern relational databases (we use Aurora and RDS/Postgres)
- Experience writing automated (integration and unit) tests
- Experience with financial or other enterprise-grade systems
- Experience working in a continuous delivery environment with canary or blue/green deployments, split or A/B testing, and deep monitoring with tools like Datadog or NewRelic
Why should you consider us?
- Make a difference. Use your software skills for good by helping more people achieve a secure retirement. The global retirement savings gap is estimated at $70 trillion. By making a dent in this problem, you will have a big impact.
- Challenging problem. Retirement security is one of the most difficult problems in finance. Solutions require creativity and cross-discipline collaboration.
- Growth market. As longevity increases, the need for efficient retirement security is likely to grow.
- Toronto: a global centre of excellence. Common Wealth is located at the centre of one of the world’s most sophisticated ecosystems for retirement, including some of the world’s leading pension funds.
- Start-up nimbleness with less downside. Like many start-ups, we are small and can innovate quickly. But unlike other start-ups, we have operated for more than four years without raising capital, meaning there is less risk associated with our business model than those firms that have yet to find product-market fit.
- Competitive total rewards. We pay competitively (no, really). We also offer options so that you will share in the company’s success. Naturally, you’ll also receive basics like health and life insurance. We trust you to do your work, so we’re flexible with where and when you do it, as long as you can collaborate effectively with us.
To apply for the role, please send your resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Server Software Engineer.”