Who is Common Wealth?
Common Wealth provides workplace retirement benefits for a 21st century workforce. We partner with employers, associations, unions, and people in the gig economy. What we do is provide access to a high-quality, low-cost alternative to what many people do now, which is put your money and future in the hands of a monolithic institution that takes your investment dollars and puts profit before its members. Half of working Canadians are coming up short on their retirement path and are at risk of being another old age poverty statistic. Our work is serving a wide range of people who’ve lacked access to good workplace retirement benefits, from home care workers to physicians to not-for-profit employees and workers across Canada’s private sector. We deliver value-for-money, collective retirement plans that combine user-friendly technology, digital retirement planning, low-cost investments, secure lifetime income, and a fiduciary duty to members. Common Wealth has been recognized internationally for its work in addressing the global retirement challenge.
We are looking for a Senior Front-End Developer to join the mission of solving the retirement security gap. People in FinServ describe retirement as the nastiest problem in finance. It is. Part of providing access to better products starts with a simple and beautiful user experience that negates the intimidating forces of nitty gritty financial language, as is tradition. A bad experience may overwhelm people who might then choose to ignore the problem rather than take the right actions, leading them to a great retirement outcome!
This opportunity is for you if:
- You want to be part of a business that is mission-driven and growing
- You love to learn and are self-aware about your strengths and limitations
- You love to roll up your sleeves and produce work that meets the highest standards for quality and attention to detail
- You are a supportive and adaptable team member
What you will do:
- Serve as one of the founding members of Common Wealth’s technology team
- Architect and build new features for Common Wealth’s technology platform to add additional value for plan members, employers, and other Common Wealth clients
- Collaborate with UI/UX designers on a user interface for a mission-critical, highly-available consumer-facing transactional system
- Work with the latest front-end technologies: TypeScript, Storybook, Cypress, Webpack and Zeplin
- Exposure to React and Redux
- HTML5 and CSS knowledge
- Experience with SASS
- Experience with NodeJS and Express
- Experience writing automated tests using Jest and React Testing Library
- Experience with TypeScript
- Experience with financial or other enterprise-grade systems
- Experience working in a continuous delivery environment with canary or blue/green deployments, split or A/B testing, and deep monitoring with tools like Datadog or NewRelic
- Experience with AWS, specifically CloudFront and Lambda@Edge
Why should you consider us?
- Make a difference. Use your software skills for good by helping more people achieve a secure retirement. The global retirement savings gap is estimated at $70 trillion. By making a dent in this problem, you will have a big impact.
- Challenging problem. Retirement security is one of the most difficult problems in finance. Solutions require creativity and cross-discipline collaboration.
- Growth market. As longevity increases, the need for efficient retirement security is likely to grow.
- Toronto: a global centre of excellence. Common Wealth is located at the centre of one of the world’s most sophisticated ecosystems for retirement, including some of the world’s leading pension funds.
- Start-up nimbleness with less downside. Like many start-ups, we are small and can innovate quickly. But unlike other start-ups, we have been in business for over five years, meaning there is less risk associated with our business model than those firms that have yet to find product-market fit.
- Competitive total rewards. We pay competitively (no, really). We also offer options so that you will share in the company’s success. Naturally, you’ll also receive basics like health and life insurance. We trust you to do your work, so we’re flexible with where and when you do it, as long as you can collaborate effectively with us.
If this role sounds like the one for you, please email your resume to email@example.com with “Senior Front-End Developer” in the subject line.
At Common Wealth, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.