Who is Common Wealth Retirement?
Common Wealth Retirement is a fast-growing, mission-driven fintech company aimed at helping Canadians of all income levels achieve a financially secure retirement without having to become a financial expert. Our award-winning digital retirement platform makes it easy to set up an automated, personalized retirement plan that delivers 2-3x more value than a typical RRSP.
75% of Canadians are concerned about having enough money in retirement, and the majority of Canadians age 50+ do not feel they have a plan for their retirement savings. We believe that the financial services industry has made saving and planning for retirement harder than it needs to be, through a combination of high fees, unnecessary complexity, and the failure to put the customer at the centre.
Common Wealth Retirement offers a customer-first approach to retirement planning. We’ve cut the jargon, lowered fees, streamlined the user experience, and incorporated expert financial strategies to simplify the process of planning, saving, and generating income in retirement.
We offer our retirement plans through employers, membership-based organizations, and other partnerships.
Retirement Planning Is Easier Than You Think!
We’re on a mission to make retirement saving and planning easier. When customers experience our platform, the most common thing we hear is “That was easier than I thought!”
PLAN – Our online tools and evidence-based algorithms help you develop a personalized retirement plan, including a retirement income target, an estimate of how much you can expect to receive in government retirement benefits, and a personalized savings plan for how much you’ll need to save every month.
AUTO-SAVE – We put your retirement savings on auto-pilot, helping you split your savings between a TFSA and an RRSP, and creating a personalized savings schedule to help you keep pace with your retirement income goals.
AUTO-INVEST – We automatically suggest a diversified portfolio and invest your savings into a fund that automatically rebalances and reduces risk as you approach retirement.
TRACK – Just like your online bank account, your Common Wealth Retirement account stays with you, so you can log in and check your balance, transfer over an existing TFSA/RRSP, or make a lump sum contribution at any time.
Our team and partnerships
Our growing team combines expertise in the key disciplines necessary to help our customers achieve retirement success. This includes retirement and pension expertise, financial technology, financial regulation, operations and customer service, human-centric product design, and knowledge of the needs of employers. We have also formed partnerships with world-class investment and annuities providers, including BlackRock, the world’s largest asset manager, and Brookfield Annuity, a leading provider of group annuities.
Why consider joining us?
- Work with a modern Typescript and React-Redux stack, including using tools like Cypress, Storybook and Zeplin.
- We’re a cloud-native product, meaning everything has been built from the ground up to run on AWS. You’ll learn how to work with CloudFront, Lambda@Edge, S3, and other key AWS services.
- Plenty of room for growth. We are a small and highly focused team, and support one another in learning new parts of our application stack.
- We’re highly committed to rapid delivery. We deploy several times a week and encourage all new developers to ship to production within their first week on the team.
- We won’t expose you to legacy code that’s half a decade old.
- Exposure to React and Redux
- HTML5 and CSS knowledge
- Experience with SASS
- Experience with NodeJS and Express
- Experience writing automated tests using Jest and React Testing Library
- Experience with TypeScript
- Experience with financial or other enterprise-grade systems
- Experience working in a continuous delivery environment with canary or blue/green deployments, split or A/B testing, and deep monitoring with tools like Datadog or NewRelic
- Experience with AWS, specifically CloudFront and Lambda@Edge
What can Common Wealth Retirement offer you?
- Make a difference. Use your software skills for good by helping more people achieve a secure retirement. The global retirement savings gap is estimated at $70 trillion. By making a dent in this problem, you will have a big impact.
- Challenging problem. Retirement security is one of the most difficult problems in finance. Solutions require creativity and cross-discipline collaboration.
- Growth market. As longevity increases, the need for efficient retirement security is likely to grow.
- Toronto: a global centre of excellence. Common Wealth is located at the centre of one of the world’s most sophisticated ecosystems for retirement, including some of the world’s leading pension funds.
- Start-up nimbleness with less downside. Like many start-ups, we are small and can innovate quickly. But unlike other start-ups, we have been in business for over five years, meaning there is less risk associated with our business model than those firms that have yet to find product-market fit.
- Competitive total rewards. We pay competitively (no, really). We also offer options so that you will share in the company’s success. Naturally, you’ll also receive basics like health and life insurance. We trust you to do your work, so we’re flexible with where and when you do it, as long as you can collaborate effectively with us.
If this role sounds like the one for you, please email your resume to email@example.com with “Senior Front-End Developer” in the subject line.
At Common Wealth, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.