Who is Common Wealth?
Common Wealth provides workplace retirement benefits for a 21st century workforce. We’re dedicated to helping to close the retirement security gap for the tens of millions of people who lack access to a good workplace retirement plan. We work with associations, unions, employers, and other partners to deliver value-for-money, collective retirement plans that combine user-friendly technology, digital retirement planning, low-cost investments, secure lifetime income, and a fiduciary duty to members. Our work is serving a wide range of people who’ve lacked access to good workplace retirement benefits, from home care workers to physicians to not-for-profit employees to workers across Canada’s private sector. Common Wealth has been recognized internationally for its work in addressing the global retirement challenge.
Why do we need you?
The Office Manager’s mission is to effectively oversee the day-to-day office operations by providing high-quality administrative and logistical support to the leadership team, and exceptional workplace experiences for the Common Wealth Team.
Reporting into the Director of People Operations, the Office Manager’s role will be to handle the day-to-day office operation for the organization. The role will provide support across a range of activities and to Common Wealth’s co-founders, leadership team and staff. As the company evolves, the Office Manager’s focus will shift from developing and implementing office procedures and systems to ensuring greater efficiency, standardization and measurement.
What kinds of things will you be working on?
- Supporting the leadership team in finance and accounting by:
- Managing invoice payables/receivables
- Preparing for finance meetings and tracking company budget
- Supporting on the creation, tracking and maintenance/review of the annual budget
- Supporting the preparation of payroll
- Creating exceptional workplace experiences for our team by:
- Ensuring the office is always stocked with necessary supplies
- Planning company events, conferences and meetings
- Tracking company inventory
- Acting as the go-to person to resolve minor IT issues – either by directly addressing them or arranging for a pro to resolve them
- Providing a seamless onboarding experience for our new hires, whether remote or in office, by ensuring they have all the necessary equipment and information for their first day and week
- Support the senior leadership team with Board-related activities, such as:
- Production and distribution of board and client-facing materials
- Managing calendars, scheduling and coordination for our co-founders, including travel and accommodation arrangements
What skills do you need for the role?
You would be great for this role if you:
- Rise to a challenge and can handle change and uncertainty, at times
- Are customer-centric – whether you’re serving internal employees, board members or external partners
- Are perpetually curious and always learning
- Are a team-player – our team is small and mighty, and we collaborate constantly – we want someone who is always willing to pitch in and isn’t afraid to ask for help
- Are a self-starter, a problem-solver, and a creative thinker
Some assets would be:
- A background in office management (3 – 5 years)
- Strong understanding of business operations, processes, policies and procedures
- Experience with budgeting, payroll, bookkeeping and scheduling
What can Common Wealth offer you?
- Make a difference. Use your skills for good by helping more people achieve a secure retirement. The global retirement savings gap is estimated at $70 trillion. By making a dent in this problem, you will have a big impact.
- Challenging problem. Retirement security is one of the most difficult problems in finance. Solutions require creativity and cross-discipline collaboration.
- Growth market. As longevity increases, the need for efficient retirement security is likely to grow.
- Toronto: a global centre of excellence. Common Wealth is located at the centre of one of the world’s most sophisticated ecosystems for retirement, including some of the world’s leading pension funds.
- Start-up nimbleness with less downside. Like many start-ups, we are small and can innovate quickly. But unlike other start-ups, we have been in business for over five years.
- Competitive total rewards. We pay competitively (no, really). We also offer options so that you will share in the company’s success. Naturally, you’ll also receive basics like health and life insurance. We trust you to do your work, so we’re flexible with where and when you do it, as long as you can collaborate effectively with us.
If this role sounds like the one for you, please email your resume to email@example.com with “Office Manager” in the subject line.
At Common Wealth, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.