Who is Common Wealth?
Common Wealth’s mission is to make financial security in retirement possible for everyone. We’re dedicated to helping to close the retirement security gap for the millions of people who lack access to a good workplace retirement plan. We partner with associations, unions, employers, and a wide range of businesses to deliver value-for-money, collective retirement plans that combine user-friendly digital retirement planning, low-cost investments, secure lifetime income, and a fiduciary duty to members. Our work is serving a wide range of people who’ve lacked access to good workplace retirement benefits, from home care workers to physicians to not-for-profit employees to workers across Canada’s private sector. Common Wealth has been recognized internationally for its work in addressing the global retirement challenge.
Why do we need you?
Partnerships are at the core of our business model. Working with large groups allows us to reach millions of people who wouldn’t otherwise get access to a high-quality retirement plan. Our ability to achieve our mission is highly dependent on our success in forming, executing, and growing a wide variety of partnerships that create shared value. Our unique, long-term, and creative approach to partnerships is one of the things that differentiates Common Wealth within the retirement landscape and the fintech landscape more broadly.
What will you be working on?
- Pitching, negotiating and closing mutually beneficial partnerships across multiple channels that help Common Wealth serve more people
- Building and nurturing a pipeline of potential partnerships across multiple tested and new channels
- Work with a wide variety of partners, and cross-functional teams of Common Wealth colleagues, to ensure successful implementation, roll-out, and growth of partnerships
- Developing a strategy for prioritizing and systematically approaching new and existing channels for partnerships
- Tracking and reporting on success and lessons in different partnership channels
What skills do you need for the role?
- Ability to build relationships and trust
- A keen eye for spotting and developing opportunities for shared value creation
- Experience in complex sales, partnerships, and/or a related discipline
- The confidence to dissect current employer retirement strategies and position Common Wealth as a strategic upgrade to the business
- Strong negotiation skills
- Great at building consensus across multi-functional and multi-level groups, both within and outside of the organization
- Rise to a challenge and can handle change and uncertainty, at times
- Perpetually curious and always learning
- Team player – our team is small and mighty, and we collaborate constantly – we want someone who is always willing to pitch in and isn’t afraid to ask for help
- Self-starter, a problem-solver, and a creative thinker
What can Common Wealth offer you?
- Make a difference. Use your skills for good by helping more people achieve a secure retirement. The global retirement savings gap is estimated at $70 trillion. By making a dent in this problem, you will have a big impact.
- Challenging problem. Retirement security is one of the most difficult problems in finance. Solutions require creativity and cross-discipline collaboration.
- Growth market. As longevity increases, the need for efficient retirement security is likely to grow.
- Toronto: a global centre of excellence. Common Wealth is located at the centre of one of the world’s most sophisticated ecosystems for retirement, including some of the world’s leading pension funds.
- Start-up nimbleness with less downside. Like many start-ups, we are small and can innovate quickly. But unlike other start-ups, we have been in business for over five years, meaning there is less risk associated with our business model than those firms that have yet to find product-market fit.
- Competitive total rewards. We pay competitively (no, really). We also offer options so that you will share in the company’s success. Naturally, you’ll also receive basics like health and life insurance. We trust you to do your work, so we’re flexible with where and when you do it, as long as you can collaborate effectively with us.
If this role sounds like the one for you, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director, Partnerships” in the subject line.
At Common Wealth, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.